Warrell has been a candy manufacturer for more than 50 years, and we know many scenarios that require candy research and development (R&D). Creating a new recipe, bringing a new product to market or modifying your current method to include fresh ingredients are just a few of cases. Developing lower sugar versions of your existing products, incorporating protein or finding healthier ingredient substitutions are challenging examples that require highly technical candy-making R&D.
Whether you want to create a new candy product or modify a candy in your existing product line, our candy company can help
Our innovation team has seven experienced food technologists and food scientists. We have years of experience and proven expertise in developing, modifying and testing candy products. Over the years, we’ve developed a time-tested process for research and development in candy manufacturing that has helped small and large manufacturers bring their confection and snack ideas to the market.
Warrell has several food safety and quality certifications. We are certified to a Global Food Safety Initiative approved standard including FSSC22000 which is SQF3 equivalent, and we are Kosher certified by the Orthodox Union Kashruth Division OU. We ensure your products manufactured at Warrell will adhere to the strictest quality assurance requirements. We are audit ready at all times. Also, many of our processes are certified organic, gluten-free and non-GMO.
Our Candy Making R&D Process
Our candy making R&D process involves multiple sequential steps, which are in place to help ensure success for everyone involved in the process. Here are the phases that make up our candy research and development process:
- Inquiry: It all starts with a question. If you have an idea for candy, you can submit your query to Warrell Creations using our convenient online form. Once we receive your inquiry, we’ll contact you to gather additional information about your idea and complete a mutual non-disclosure agreement. Once confidentiality is secured, you can share the details of your project such as the candy making process you want us to use, the dimensions or specifications you want in your product, your desired price point and launch date. We’ll also discuss the quantity of product you want to produce and the type of packaging you want for your candy.
- Ideation & Concept Development: At this stage of our candy making R&D process, you’ll meet with our talented sales and marketing team to discuss the demand that might exist for your product in more detail. In this phase, we’ll identify more of the technical requirements and resources that will be necessary to produce your product. We’ll perform an internal risk analysis.
- Design Prototype: In this phase, our seasoned teams in product development — which include packaging and process engineering, purchasing, quality assurance, sales, marketing and accounting — will all work together to determine projections for the production process and well as its cost and scalability. Our R&D team and development experts will finalize the recipe at this point, too.
- Validation & Certification: After the initial prototype design is finalized and approved, we’ll run your product through a full production trial on the processing lines in the plant. We’ll adjust the production recipe as needed to account for any changes that are necessary as we move from test batches to plant production. We’ll finalize all of the packaging and delivery timelines for your product launch at this stage.
- Launch & Commercialization: After the validation and certification phase, we’ll invite you to the plant for the initial run of your new product. Once the product ships, we will have an internal review of the commercialization success to ship your second order promptly without issues.
Our Team of Candy Experts
For you to gain a better insight of who you may be working with, here are several of Warrell’s candy team members.
Elizabeth (Liz) Hagerman
Liz began her career at Warrell Creations in 2017 when she was brought on board by the Research & Development Department as a food technologist. Within a few short months, we knew we had a new outlook on one of our beloved core processes. Exploring new and innovative food products and processes is one of Liz’s main passions.
She earned her Bachelor’s degree in food science & technology from Oregon State University and received a minor in chemistry along the way. Her experience in the food industry includes everything from food service to interning with Kroger to working as an R&D lab assistant — all before finding Warrell Creations.
Liz’s focus here at Warrell Creations involves improving and developing products for two of our exemplary core processes — FIRE ROASTING AND NUT CLUSTERS! We can’t wait to see what creations are ahead.
Krista began her food technology career in 1994. She worked for 22 years at Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate as a food technologist. During her career at Cargill, Krista was responsible for many different areas. She was in charge of R&D panning and sensory development, where she trained the panelists, ran panels and interpreted data, and was in R&D for chocolate, compounds and cocoa.
Krista joined Warrell Creations in 2017. She is passionate about meeting customer goals and being creative in making new products. She earned her food technology degree from Delaware Valley College, as well as her MBA in food & agribusiness.
Krista’s focus at Warrell Creations involves developing new products for two of our primary core processes: CHOCOLATE PANNING AND ENROBING.
Terry has been in the confectionery industry for more than 41 years. He has directed countless product commercialization’s from benchtop through processing, commercialization and packaging with an R&D perspective. He has mastered all processing centers within Warrell Creations. Terry has completed most if not all the past and present NCA and PMCA sponsored short courses. He has assisted as an instructor in several short courses over the years.
Terry has been a long time member of PMCA serving on the Educational Committee and is actively involved with the Philadelphia Chapter of AACT, serving as treasurer.
Terry’s current role as Senior Technical Advisor at Warrell Creations is to mentor the R&D Food Technologists as well as operators on processing equipment. He is a key advisor for incoming customer projects.
Recently accepted a position as Manager of Innovation at Warrell Creations, Brianne leads the R&D group and project management team to partner with customers to bring their innovations to life within accelerated timelines.
Warrell Creations, Your Partner of Choice for Candy Manufacturing R&D
We work with you from start to finish, leaving no detail unattended, and conduct analysis and evaluation throughout each step. If your business is interested in manufacturing a new product with a contract manufacturer — whether you have a recipe developed, would like it tweaked, or would like to work with us in the innovation of a new product — Warrell Creations’ R&D team has the expertise to assist you.
We work with several Fortune 500 customers and manufacturers with national brands to develop new products and manufacture current goods, as well. We have multiple processing and packaging inclusions with years of production expertise.
Our candy making capabilities or processing inclusions include:
Call Warrell Creations or complete our online form to learn more about our candy making R&D process to get started with your innovative candy product today.